Randolph County Indiana Biographies Surnames Starting with H

Back to Surname List

ALVAH M. HADLEY was born in Morgan County, Indiana, January 15, 1851. He came with his parents to this State in 1855, making their home in Warren County. In 1856 they settled in Franklin Township on the southwest quarter of section 29. His father purchased a farm, which had been slightly improved. Later, the family returned to Morgan County, where the parents now live. The father was born in that county in 1828, and the mother was born in Randolph County in 1830. To them were born eight children--our subject, Alvah M., and one daughter, Mrs. Elmira H. Farmer, residing at the home of her parents, are the only ones now living. Sylvia Ellen died at the age of sixteen years; Julia Eva died aged thirteen years; Louisa died aged eight years; Emma died in this county, aged two years; Lmarinda died at about two years of age; Effie, twin sister of Eva, died at the age of one month. Mr. Hadley's father retained the ownership of his Clarke County farm until 1881, when he sold to Alvah M.

October 3, 1872, the subject of this sketch was married to Miss Susannah M. Cook, daughter of Milton and Martha Cook, who was born in Hendricks County, Indiana, December 10, 1854. She died September 14, 1880, leaving four children--Loren R., Loles V., Luna C. and Luther M. March 11, 1882, Mr. Hadley married Miss Ella Macy, daughter of Ira C. and Achsah Macy, who was born in Randolph County, Indiana, October 3, 1855. Soon after marriage they came to the old homestead of Mr. Hadley's father in the township where they now reside. They have two children--Lindley E. and Lmarinda. In politics Mr. Hadley, like all those bearing the name, is a Republican. His parents are members of the Society of Friends, under whose teachings the religious views of their son Alvah were formed. He is a practical farmer, a worthy citizen and a good neighbor.
from reprint of "Clarke County, Iowa History", Lewis Pub., Chicago, 1886. p.9
Posted by Celia Davis on Sat, 29 Jan 2000

Pages 337-8
Chapter IX

Sacredly to my mother.

Written a few months before the death of Minerva J. Harrison , whose suffering was long and most severe. She lived until November 4th, 1893, the eighty-fifth anniversary of her birth, when she passed away in terrible agony, but strong in the faith of a blessed Immortality.

There's a woman that I love, an' I can't tell you why,
'Taint because she's pretty, or has a beamin' eye;
Nor 'cause she's dressed in the neatest of the style,
I feel so kind o' good, that it makes me to rejoice.

She has the marks of sorrow, an' a mighty sight of care,
Her form is very stooped, an' her body frail and weir;
But I tell you after all, when I hear her precious voice,
I feel so kind o' good, that it makes me to rejoice.

She's living; in a cottage that was built long ago,
Where she's felt much of sorrow an' not a little woe;
It's where she sang her songs, in her olden time way,
With hopes just as bright as a fine summer day.

An' when I go to see her in that quiet little home,
Where I first saw the light, an' my feet began to roam,
An' see her bended form, and shake her boney hand,
So many tender feelin's come, I can't hardly stand.

And when I stoop to kiss her, an' see her eyes so dim,
An' see her wrinkled brow, with face so very slim,
An' feel the touch of lips that I felt when a boy,
My mind is full of thinkin' an' my heart full of joy.

So when I say I love her, the story is untold.
I can't tell you why, though my words were of gold;
My feelin's whisper though, yet none but angels hear,
An' waft the mystery to the skies-the love of Mother dear.

In all her sufferin' pains an' aches, I can't tell you why,
I feel something' in my mind a runnin' to the sky,
A callin' for the Saviour dear, a kind an' loving' Friend,
Just to send a little help, an' let the angels tend.

An' when they want to take her far up into the skies,
They'll bear her up so tenderly, just like an angel fillies;
An' show her to the Saviour, an' all the heavenly throng.
An' join with her a sigin' the great Redemption song.
June 27th, 1893 by H. A. Harrison.

Transcribed by Andrea Long
Reminiscences of Adams, Jay and Randolph Counties City of Publication: Fort Wayne, Ind. Publisher: Lipes, Nelson & Singmaster, job printers Date: 1897?
Page Count: 366

Aaron Hill , father to Hannah (Hill) Peacock, whose wife was Sarah Rich, was a widower when he came to Jericho. He lived most of his stay here with his daughter, Hannah, and her husband. However, there is a statement that he built a cabin sometime after coming. Aaron Hill and his wife had six children, one of whom died in North Carolna. With the exception of Hannah, wife of Amos Peacock, the others lived near Arba in this county. Aaron Hill died August 26. 1836, and was buried in the old Jericho burying-ground.
Jericho Friends Meeting Page 6 And Its Community Randolph County, Indiana 1846
Submitted by: Lora Radiches

Henry and Benoni Hill were brothers. Sons of Jesse Hill and Mary ( Pritchard) Hill. They were first cousins to Hannah (Hill), wife of Amos Peacock. Henry Hill was further tied to the Peacocks in that Achsah Peacock, daughter of Abraham, was Henry's first wife. By her, his first five children were born. She died on February 1, 1830, and is buried at old Jericho. He next married Achsah Thomas (the daughter of Isaac and Rachel) by whom his next three children were born. She died September 29, 1835, and is buried in Old Jericho. Last he married Avis Woodard (a widow, daughter of Thomas and Miriam Cox) by whom his last two children were born. Henry died May 2, 1874 and Avis August 15. 1875. Both are buried in the present Jericho burying-ground.

Benoni Hill married Mary Boswell in North Carolina. She was known by the nickname 'Polly'. They had nine children of whom the first five are known definitely to have married Jericho folks. (See membership lists). Fanny Diggs, who married Mathew Hill, the son of Benoni was said to have been the first white child born on the White River. Benoni Hill died August 20, 1870, and Mary Hill on May 9. 1856. Both are buried in the present Jericho burying-ground. They lived on Owl Creek, adjacent to Amos Peacock.
Jericho Friends Meeting Page 7
And Its Community
Randolph County, Indiana
Submitted by Lora Addison Radiches

Pages 324-6
Chapter VI. (a letter by Jacob A Hinshaw to Mrs. Lynch)
Lynn, Ind., May 15, 1896

Mrs. A. S. Lynch, Decatur, Ind.:--As per agreement I will write "just a little."
I was born in Randolph County, North Carolina, September 27th, 1826. My father having died about five or six years after my birth, mother, with nine of us, seven boys and two girls, I the youngest, moved to Randolph County, Ind., in the spring of 1831, and I live now on the land she entered from the government, (I having since bought it of her) and built a log house on it. In the fall her and I, with a man to show the land to us, came to hunt a place for the house, the woods was so thick we could not ride on horse-back, but had to hitch and walk it was so very heavy timber and thick of underbrush, and now at this time there is not a sick of timber on I, only as I have grown them since 1850. Oh but we had fun cutting the lareg trees and digging the small ones up by the roots, called grubbing. I have picked and burned brush many nights till 10 o'clock and thought it good sport, etc. Well, after a while I began to think I was a man; got married in 1845, and being pretty well off in the world (having a yearling colt and $6.50 in money, all my wealth) when married, so concluded to get good property to start with, viz.: my first bedstead,had but one post, and needed no more, as the house was made of round logs and I had only to bore holes in the logs in one corner of the house, which met in one post from the corner; then small poles were put in the holes in the logs and laid on the side rails to use for cord or slats, as is now used, but we split first-rate after a hard day's work in the woods. The floor of the house was split instead of sawed lumber; it was called a puncheon floor; the roof was slit or rove clapboards, and the roof was the ceiling or loft floor; and in the winter I have walked from the bed to the fire place of a morning ankle deep in snow. Boys, how would you like to get up out of bed in snow ankle deep to build fires now, eh? Was but one door hung, and to open outside, and a big crack between two logs for a window. I found a muskrat under our bed one day helping himself to a water melon. I got the gun and shot him while he was stealing my melon; so look out, boys, when you think of stealing melons, and think of the fate of the muskrat. Our diet was all kinds of bread that could be made of corn, from mush to ask cake, etc. Our meat was wild game and none a general rule. Well, you will see by my writing, spelling and grammar that I had some schooling. To illustrate and give some idea of it, I will say the school house was a log house, puncheon floor, puncheon benches, stick and clay chimney in one of the house big enough for log fires; house in the woods, not fenced in! hogs could get under the floor. An incident, one day when cold, the hogs got under the floor as near the fire as they could, and in their scuffie to keep warm, the tail of one hog suck up through a crack in the floor; a mischievious boy, rich enough to carry a jack-knife, slipped his knife out and taking hold of the hog's tail with one hand, knife in the other hand, cut the tail off and threw it on the live coals, where it curled about as if yet alive, which mad a little girl (who is now my sister-in-law; she is now older) laugh out loud, which caused the teacher to investigate, with switch in hand. I will not now say the boy ever cut another pig's tail off in time off in time of school to cook for his dinner. So you see how schools were then. I could fill a book with similar incidents of school and farm life in early times, &c. One incident of church life in early times: Mother was a Quakeress and consequently we all had birthrights in that society, and as their meetings are very different now and then, I will say we never had music of any kind in church, and and occasionally reaching; we went to meeting twice each week, to sit still and quiet and think. The older ones in secret worship if so disposed, and some to sleep and nod, and us boys to think in some cases of mischief. The house of logs and the south doorstep was about two feet to the floor from the ground, and the door shut from the outside of the house, and there was a young man, a tall, gangling fellow, always sitting in the summer, on the end of a bench at the door, with his head in his hands, elbows on his knees, facing the door to get the cool air; and to show you how evil the writer was, I one day saw him begin to nod, and a wish or prayer instantly went through my evil brain that his elbows might slip off his knees, and the next instant my wish was fully answered and he went head foremost to the ground with his bare 10-inch feet and legs to his knees sticking up at about 45 degrees inside. He could not get up until he crawled out on all fours, which he did, and then returned to hihself, but not sleep any more that meeting. The old friends did not tell me to laugh. I did so without any telling; so did some others. Well, that was at old Quaker Lynn, many years ago. Not many living now that were there that day, and that young man has since got old and died a good Christian, and I have no doubt is now happy. He has some children and grandchildren here yet; and now have a new Quaker Lynn that no one could well go to sleep in time of worship, as it is lively with song and prayer. As there is now six recorded ministers that belongs to that class and they know how to sing praises as well as preach, and it is probably one of the best and most lively class in the county at present. Quite a change since my boyhood days. (I am an old boy, now). But one more incident of the old Quaker Lynn; (pardon me for telling such) it was in the first frame house; it had a raised gallery of three benches, then raised floor back to the door, where the raise of each part began, were two benches, where people sat facing each other; the old friends sat there and sometimes twirled their thumbs until nodding. One time I sat watching two old brothers with their hats off until the got to nodding with their heads very close to each other, and as in the other case, my evil thought said how I desired to see their heads come together, as I had seen sleeers do, and I did not have to wait over one minute until the bald spots hit each other. They waked without any one shaking them, and as I did before, laughed without any telling. Enough, I am old now, and do not make such prayers as I did then, but still attend Quaker Lynn meeting, not as it used to be, but as it is now; and I humbly ask all that reads this, if passing this way in Quaker meeting time, to spend one hour at meeting, and I assure you sleeping, &c., will not be seen now, but you will have to say, surely the Lord has done great things for Quaker Lynn; and if religiously inclined you will say it is good to be there. You will not be treated to any such freaks as I have stated happened at old Quaker Lynn, for this is now one of the best meetings for life in reach of Lynn, and but very few of us that were young sixty years ago will be seen there now. I am trying to live right, &c. As I think my note is lone enough I will let some one else tell of the fun and games of brogue, &c., we had at log rollings, raisings, &c. I had the honor of killing the last wild deer that passed through our township. That has been many years ago.
You will have to curtail and add to make this grammatically fit to read, &c., as I know nothing of grammar, &c.
Respectfully, Jacob A. Hinshaw

Reminiscences of Adams, Jay and Randolph Counties City of Publication: Fort Wayne, Ind. Publisher: Lipes, Nelson & Singmaster, job printers Date: 1897? Page Count: 366
Transcribed by Andrea Long

O.W. HINSHAW , physician and surgeon at Winchester, is a native of Randolph County, and his people were among the pioneers of Eastern Indiana, representing the Quaker stock that has been such an important and valuable factor in the development of the material, civic and moral conditions in this section of the state. Doctor Hinshaw was born in Randolph County in 1874, son of Meredith and Mary Ellen (Fudge) Hinshaw, who were also born in the same county. His paternal grandparents, Jacob and Pollie (Carter) Hinshaw, were also born in Randolph County. Doctor Hinshaw’s great-Grandparents, Able and Nancy Hinshaw, came from Randolph County, North Carolina, to Indiana, being a part of a general migration of Quaker people from that section of the old North State. Doctor Hinshaw’s grandfather, Jacob Fudge, was also born in Randolph County. Meredith Hinshaw owned a farm of 200 acres of the choice land in Washington Township. He served as a member of the township advisory board, was a minister of the Friends Church and for fourteen years was superintendent of the Winchester Quarterly Meeting. He died in 1922 and the mother of Doctor Hinshaw is now eighty-four, still in full possession of all her faculties. Doctor Hinshaw grew up on a farm, attended district schools and the Indiana State Normal at Terre Haute. As a young man he taught for four years in Washington Township, and he partly paid his expenses while a student in Rush Medical College at Chicago. He was graduated in 1901, and returned to Indiana to take the examination before the state medical board. In that examination he received the highest grades of any applicant that had ever appeared before the board. Doctor Hinshaw for nearly twenty years practiced medicine at Lynn, Indiana and since 1920 has been at Winchester. He married in 1901 Miss Pearl Moody, a native of Randolph County, daughter of William and Ruth (Beard) Moody. Her people were likewise early settlers of Indiana. Her maternal grandfather, Dr. Paul Beard, was a pioneer physician. Doctor and Mrs. Hinshaw have one daughter, Miss Christine. Doctor Hinshaw is a steward in the Methodist Episcopal Church, while his daughter is a member of the Quaker Church. While living at Lynn he acted for a number of years as health officer, has also been county health officer, and since 1927, county coroner. He is a Republican, a member of the Masonic fraternity, Knights of Pythias, and belongs to the County, State and American Medical Associations.

Typed by Lora Radiches

BETSY HOLLOWAY , widow of William Holloway, once a farmer of great prominence in Stony Creek township, was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, June 18, 1808, and is the second daughter of John and Rachael (James) Fisher, natives of Virginia. John Fisher, the eldest son of Joseph and Ann (Cary) Fisher, was born in 1776. Rachael James, the mother of Mrs. Betsy Holloway, was the daughter of Thomas and Sarah (Stanton) James, natives of Virginia and of English descent. John Fisher was reared to farming, was quite well educated in the common schools of his early day, and was a successful man in business, as far as his vocation was concerned. His children were nine in number, viz: Robert, deceased farmer of Randolph county, Ind.; Elias, who died when quite young; Joseph, deceased farmer of Delaware county, Ind.; Sarah Ann, deceased; Betsy, the subject proper of this sketch; Thomas, deceased farmer of Randolph county; Mary Etta, deceased; Elias (No. 2), who died at an early age, and John, a deceased farmer of Grant county, Ind. After his marriage John Fisher followed his trade of shoemaker until his removal from Virginia to Columbiana county, Ohio, where he entered 160 acres of wild land, which, with the assistance of his faithful wife, he partially cleared away, and on which he erected a log cabin. Here Mrs. Holloway was born, and here lived for ten years, when the family moved to Cincinnati, making the trip on a flat-boat and occupying nine days on the journey. From Cincinnati Mr. Fisher moved to Richmond, Ind., when there were but three houses in the town, and for several years lived on rented land, and then came to Randolph county, where he entered a second tract of 160 acres, and but a short time after sold out, and entered his third tract of 160 acres, which he industriously tilled until his death, which occurred in 1859, followed by that of his wife in 1866. Both were members of the Society of Friends, and their remains repose in Hardshaw cemetery.
Mrs. Betsy Holloway was married April 3, 1828. Her husband, William Holloway, was the youngest son of William and Sarah (Stanley) Holloway, natives of Virginia, in which state William was born February 16, 1808. To the happy marriage of William and Betsy were born five children, as follows: Rachel, who died in infancy, Sarah Ann, wife of Wesley Moore, of Monroe township, Randolph county; George, a deceased farmer of Wells county; Hannah, deceased wife of Jonathan Thornburg, of Stony Creek township, and John, a deceased farmer of Randolph county. The married life of William and Betsy Holloway began on a small farm, which was increased, through the industry and good management of Mr. Holloway, to 136 acres, and on this property the widow still lives. William passed away September 6, 1858, after a life of usefulness and purity, a devoted husband, an affectionate father, and a consistent member of the Society of Friends. Mrs. Holloway bears her years well, but lives not so much for the world as for the hour to come when she shall rejoin the loved ones gone before.
A.W. Bowen & Co., 1894
Page 1213-1214
Submitted by Dusti

JAMES H. HORNEY , one of the firm of Ross & Horney, carriage manufacturers, Union City, Randolph county, Ind., is a son of John and Mary F. (Fahnestock) Horney, and was born in Darke county, Ohio, in 1860. The father, John Horney, was killed when James H. was about six months old, and in 1865 the mother moved to Union City. James H. was educated at the public schools of Union City until he was fifteen years old, and was then apprenticed for three years to Ross & Knapp, at carriage trimming; he next worked as journeyman and at contract work for the Union City Carriage company for six years, hiring all the help in his department, and having entire management of it; later, contracted with George W. Ross for doing all his work for three years. In 1891 he formed a partnership with Mr. Ross, under the firm name of Ross & Horney, in the manufacture of carriages, at the corner of Union and Pearl streets, but on June 27, 1893, fire destroyed the premises, causing a loss of $5,000, of which $3,000 was on stock, the finished work alone being saved. The firm now occupy the Bowers and other buildings, on Columbia and Oak streets, employ ten hands, and turn out all kinds of modern stylish, high-class vehicles, that represent the progressive experience of twenty-five years in this particular line.
The grandparents of Mr. Horney were among the pioneers of Ohio, and his parents were both natives of Darke county. When his father was accidentally killed he was but twenty-two years of age, and left behind two children, viz.: Minnie, now wife of William Morrow, of Union City, and James H. The marriage of James H. Horney took place in 1885 to Miss Emma Harlan, of Union City, and resulted in the birth of four children, who are named May, Herschel, Howard and Gertrude. Mr. Horney is a member of the I.O.O.F., holds the respect of his fellow citizens and is recognized as an industrious, skillful workman and courteous gentleman. In politics he is a republican.
A.W. Bowen & Co., 1894
Page 1368
Submitted by Dusti

RALPH HOWARD . In Putnam County, near Putnamville, is situated the Indiana State Farm of Indiana, and Ralph Howard has been actively identified with the executive and practical management of this farm since 1914, his administration as its superintendent having been marked by constructive efficiency and by loyalty that entitles him to classification among the valued officials of his native state. Mr. Howard was born at Winchester, Randolph County, Indiana, June 21, 1881, and is a son of John and Louisa C. (Smeltzer) Howard, the former of whom was born in England and the latter in Ohio. John Howard was a youth when he came from his native land to the United States, in 1868, and in Indiana he became a successful school teacher, though his major success was gained through his active association with farm industry, of which he became a substantial representative in Randolph County, where also he served a term of years as superintendent of the orphans' home of the county. He was influential in community affairs and was a sterling citizen who ever commanded unqualified popular esteem. The death of John Howard occurred December 27. 1929, his wife having passed away October 25, 1925, and the three surviving children being Frederick, Grace and Ralph, Frederick being a resident of Bastrop, Louisiana, and Grace being now a resident of Knightstown, Henry County, Indiana. The public-school discipline of Ralph Howard culminated in his course in the high school at Winchester, and about the time of his attaining to legal majority he initiated his service in Indiana institutional work, his earlier experience of practical order having been mainly in connection with the activities of the home farm. In 1914 he assumed the position of assistant superintendent of the Indiana State Farm, near Putnamville, and his ability and efficiency later led to his advancement to the office of superintendent, of which he has since continued the incumbent. Mr. Howard is a staunch supporter of the cause of the Republican Party, he is affiliated with both York and Scottish Rite bodies of the Masonic fraternity, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. March 24, 1906, recorded the marriage of Mr. Howard to Miss Carrie E. McDowell, daughter of a physician and surgeon who is now deceased, but was for fifty years engaged in the practice of his profession at Sumner, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Howard have two sons, John M. and Charles E., both of whom are, in 1930, students in engineering in Rose Polytechnic Institute.
This book has no cover, and no index, and no author. I bought it on Ebay; it just has the insides, but it is full of Indiana biographies. I am not researching this family, just thought I would share. I do not know anymore about these families or these surnames. NOTE: I don't know if there is any additional mention of this family in the book, it has no index. I do not want to sell this book. I am typing the biographies from it.
Typed by Lora Radiches

Hunt, Union B. The full name of the subject of this sketch is Union Banner Basil Morton Hunt. For this name, Mr. Hunt says, he is not responsible. Neither is he ashamed of it. At the time of his birth his brother was confined in the Confederate prison at Andersonville, Ga., having been captured at the battle of Chickamauga. Hence, the name "Union Banner." "Basil" (pronounced Bazil) is an old family name, and "Morton" is for the great war governor of Indiana.
The father of the present secretary of state, Union B. Hunt, was Joshua Parker Hunt, who was born in Kentucky in 1805, and died in Randolph county, Indiana, in 1889 at the age of 84. In his younger days, Joshua Hunt was a stock dealer and frequently took large droves of hogs from Kentucky to South Carolina, going and returning on horseback. Uniting with the M. E. church early in life, he was actively connected with the ministry. At one time he was well-to-do financially, but most of his money was lost in paying surety debts for false friends, and the subject of this sketch never received any benefit from it, but from the days of his early childhood was thrown upon his own resources and made himself what he is today. The paternal grandfather of our subject was Col. John Hunt, a pioneer of the "Dark and bloody ground." He was a colonel in the War of 1812.
The maiden name of the mother of U. B. Hunt was Rachel Howell. She came of a sturdy, honored and honest family, was a member of the M. E. church and foremost in all good works, being especially devoted to helping the poor and needy and caring for the sick. She was lovingly devoted to the interests of her husband and children. She died in February, 1884.
The Hunt family has done much to make Randolph the wealthy and progressive county it is today. Union B. Hunt was born in Nettle township, Randolph county, Indiana, September 2, 1864. His early education was acquired in common school. His studious habits and cheerful disposition never failed to make him a favorite with his teacher and schoolmates. Though Mr. Hunt is yet a young man, the old-fashioned spelling school was yet a fixture of the district school in his schoolboy days, and in "choosing up," the captain that got first choice invariably chose Union B. Hunt, and seldom failed to stand against all comers. Though Mr. Hunt attended at intervals higher institutions of learning, and made good use of his time, he is not a college graduate. He early acquired a taste for history, both ancient and modern, is quite thorough, and he has an excellent acquaintance with the writers in ancient and modern literature. In conversation he is polished and pleasing.
Being compelled to make his own way in the world, the most of Mr. Hunt's training was received in the hard school of necessity. He went with his parents to Illinois in 1868 and returned to Randolph county in 1876 and settled on the farm, and for a number of years he farmed in summer and attended school in winter. He worked in a tile factory, taught school a short time and worked in a general store, all the time preparing himself for his chosen profession, the law. He was for some time a student in the law office of Watson & Watson.
In religious connections he is a Methodist. For some time he was superintendent of a Methodist Sunday school and president of the Sunday School union of his township. He was a favorite speaker at Sunday school picnics and celebrations, and his services were often in demand.
He was a leader of the old debating society, and always ready for the conflict. As a local debater in the debating societies, while quite a young man, he made much of a reputation.
October 9, 1891, Mr. Hunt was married to Miss Mary Myrtle Hinshaw, an estimable young lady of Randolph county, with who he is still living happily. Their marriage has been blessed with but one child, a bright little girl, named Ethel. Mr. Hunt is passionately fond of his family and devotes all the time he can spare from his professional and official life, with them.
In 1888 he was appointed a special expert in the census bureau and discharged the duties well. In 1889 he formed a law partnership with John R. Wright, since deceased. His physician advising him, on account of a tendency toward heart trouble, to seek more outdoor exercise, he bought a half interest in the Winchester Herald, of which he became editor, though retaining his law partnership. He was a forcible and vigorous writer, well posted on public questions. Regaining health, he sold the newspaper and became a law partner with Clarkson L. Hutchens and Thomas W. Hutchens, and later became deputy prosecutor under the former. He is a strong advocate, eloquent, logical, and quick at repartee. On the stump he is also effective. He is first speech for the Republican party was made when was seventeen. Ever a staunch believer in the principles of the Republican party he never allows politics to enter into his personal friendships. He has never indulged in abuse on the stump. As a political story teller he has few equals. A "good mixer," he is well liked socially, and is held in high regard by his neighbors. He has been a member of the city council of Winchester.
His devotion to the knights of Pythias order is well known. Becoming a member of the order at Lynn, Ind., September, 1887, he was largely instrumental in the organization of Modoc lodge, No. 229, of which he became the first presiding officer. Entering the Grand lodge of Indiana in 1891, his efforts in behalf of James E. Watson were largely instrumental in electing Mr. Watson grand prelate. An effort was made to increase the minimum initiation fee the first year after he entered the Grand lodge. Many of the weaker lodges felt that this would ruin them. In the face of seeming defeat, Mr. Hunt moved to strike out the sum newly proposed by the committee, and, through an eloquent argument for the weaker lodges against great odds, he won his point. He has attended every convention of the Grand lodge since becoming a member, and has done much in many ways to advance the order. Appointed grand instructor by Grand Chancellor Neal, he attended all district meetings in 1895, was elected grand vice-chancellor in '96 and grand chancellor in '97. His term in the last named office, ending in October, 1898, was the longest term of any grand chancellor.
During the Pythian conclave of '98, his address to the Supreme lodge was pronounced by visiting Supreme representatives the best they had ever listened to from a grand chancellor.
August 4, 1898, he was nominated on the first ballot by the Republican state convention for secretary of state, over two very estimable gentleman, Chas. F. Coffin of Indianapolis, and John C. Chaney of Sullivan. His Democratic opponent was Samuel M. Ralston, of Lebanon, a gentleman of high character, and an able lawyer. Though the campaign opened September 15, owing to severe illness, Mr. Hunt did not enter the campaign until October, but after he did begin, he spoke every day, and many times twice a day till the election, Tuesday, November 8, and did much toward securing the victory which was won for the Republican ticket.

Men of Progress Indiana A Selected List of Biographical Sketches and Portraits of the….1899 pages 360-2. Book is on-line at HeritageQuest and was transcribed by Andrea Long


Website Counter