Randolph County Indiana Biographies Surnames Starting with P

Back to Surname List

Walter G. PARRY . As one of the learned men who administer the law upon the great principles laid down by the eminent jurists of the past, Walter G. Parry, of Winchester, lives up to the ethics of the legal profession and has won distinction in the practice of law. Like all honorable members of his calling, he strives to get at the truth of a dispute and solve the real question irrespective of the technicalities that might otherwise surround the problem. The people of Randolph County are justly proud of him and of the principles for which he stands. The birth of Walter G. Parry occurred at Richmond, Indiana, March 30, 1873, and he is a son of George and Anna (Larsh) Parry, both natives of Indiana, she having been born in Wayne County. The paternal grandparents were Robert and Esther (Vernon) Parry, and the grandfather came from Pennsylvania to Wayne County, Indiana, at an early day and settled at Richmond, where he worked at his trade of a plasterer. The maternal grandparents were LeRoy and Elizabeth (Charles) Larsh, the latter of whom was born in Preble County, Ohio. For years LeRoy Larsh conducted a saw and gristmill, operated by waterpower, on Liberty Turnpike. Learning the trade of a plasterer from his father, George Parry worked at it until he moved to Randolph County and settled on a farm, in 1875. There he continued to live until 1913, when he returned to Richmond, Indiana. He remained in that city until the death of his wife and mother, when he took up his residence with his son Walter G., at Winchester, where he resided until his death August 22, 1929. Completing his work in the common and high schools of Lynn, Indiana, Walter G. Parry took up the study of law at Winchester with James S. Engle, and was admitted to the Indiana bar in 1894, immediately there-after entering into partnership with his preceptor. Subsequently the firm became Engle, Caldwell & Parry. Eight years later Judge Engle, being elected to the bench of the Circuit Court, retired from the firm, and the name became Caldwell & Parry. When the senior member became judge of the Appellate Court Mr. Parry continued practice alone, and appears in all of the courts. He belongs to the Randolph County Bar Association and the Indiana State Bar Association. On October 18, 1891, Mr. Parry was married to Miss Hattie B. Monks, born at Greenville, Ohio, and there is one son surviving, Robert L., who resides at Winchester; the other son, James R., saving died at the age of seventeen years. The first Mrs. Parry died April 13, 1924. On May 1, 1926, Mr. Parry was married to Mrs. Grace H. Griffis, born at Winchester, a daughter of Henry and Melissa (Gray) Hiatt, natives of Randolph County. There are no children of this marriage. Mr. Parry is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His fraternal connections are those, which he maintains with the Knights of Pythias. In addition to his professional connections Mr. Parry is president of the American Security Company, of which he is an organizer and charter member. In political faith he is a Republican, and has been one of the local leaders for years, serving as mayor of Winchester from 1906 to 1910, and as secretary of the Randolph county central committee for three consecutive terms.
This book has no cover, and no index, and no author. I bought it on Ebay; it just has the insides, but it is full of Indiana biographies. I am not researching this family, just thought I would share. I do not know anymore about these families or these surnames. NOTE: I don't know if there is any additional mention of this family in the book, it has no index. I do not want to sell this book. I am typing the biographies from it.
Typed by Lora Radiches

JAMES JOHN PATCHELL , postmaster of Union City, and one of the recognized leaders in the Republican party of Indiana, was born at Union City, and has always claimed that town as his home. His career has brought him a remarkable range of contact with prominent men of the state and nation. His father was the late George W. Patchell, who for forty-eight years was publisher and editor of the Union City Times. George W. Patchell was born at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania March 10, 1858, son of Col. James and Mary Ann (Fairbourn) Patchell. The Patchell family came to Union City in 1867. Col. James Patchell was born in Londonderry, Ireland, and his wife in England. The ancestors of the Patchell family were French Huguenots. George W. Patchell grew up at Union City, attended public school there and at the age of sixteen began learning the printer's trade with the Union City Times. When he was nineteen years old, though without capital, he arranged for the purchase of the Union City Times, and was its publisher and editor from that time until his death on July 4, 1925. He made it one of the leading and influential newspapers of Eastern Indiana. George W. Patchell was extremely loyal to his home community and he made it a rule as publisher never to advertise the business of merchants outside his hometown. Loyalty was one of his outstanding traits and a host of friends recognized that quality and appreciated his fine manhood. He was for many years a member of the American Editorial Association of Indiana and was always an active worker in his party. From 1888 to 1893 he was executive member for Indiana of the Republican League of Clubs. His only public office was that of postmaster of Union City, from 1907 to 1911. He was a charter member of Invincible Lodge No. 84, Knights of Pythias, and a member of the Kiwanis Club. He was a life long friend of Hon. James E. Watson, United States senator, who delivered the funeral address over his departed friend. George W. Patchell married, December 14, 1880, Miss Lillie A. Butcher, daughter of John and Matilda (Constable) Butcher, of Randolph County, Indiana. Mrs. Matilda Constable Butcher's mother, Margaret Constable, is now ninety-five years of age. George W. Patchell and wife had two sons, Roy and James J. James John Patchell was born at Union City, May 29, 1890, and was graduated from the high school in 1908 and completed a course in the Eastman Business College of Poughkeepsie, New York, in 1911. For one year he was with the Indianapolis Belting & Supply Company, then went to work for the Diamond Rubber Company at Indianapolis and after three months was made office manager of the Chicago branch. He left the office to go on the road, covering a territory in Illinois, Indiana and Southern Michigan. When the Diamond Rubber Company was taken over by the Goodrich Rubber Company Mr. Patchell was put in charge of an extensive northwestern territory, with Minneapolis as his headquarters. In the fall of 1915 he returned to Chicago and in the spring of 1916 met Will Hays and became secretary to that distinguished Indiana statesman, who was then chairman of the Indiana State central committee. On May 1, 1917, Mr. Patchell enlisted, entered the Officers Training Camp at Fort Benjamin Harrison and was commissioned a captain of infantry August 15, 1917. On September 15 he was assigned to the Three Hundred Thirty-fourth Infantry, Eighty-fourth Division, at Camp Taylor, Kentucky and went overseas in the spring of 1918. For a time he acted as liaison officer at Le Mans, France, and later was with the Seventy-seventh Division. He returned to the United States June 17, 1919, and two days later was discharged at Camp Sherman, Ohio. He came out with the rank of major of infantry. His first work after the war was as field man in the territory west of the Mississippi to the Pacific Coast for the Roosevelt Memorial Association. In June, 1919, he became secretary to William Boyce Thompson, chairman of the Roosevelt Memorial Commission and also chairman of the National Republican ways and means committee. During 1919-20 he again acted as secretary to Will H. Hays, then chairman of the National Republican committee. In 1924 he was first assistant secretary to the Republican National convention at Cleveland and acted as secretary after the first day of the convention. Mr. Patchell on March 4, 1920, on account of the ill health of his father, returned to Union City and was editor of the Union City Times until 1926. On May 31, 1926, he was made acting postmaster and received his regular commission for that office May 22, 1928. His ability as an organizer has been demonstrated many times in political campaigns, both in his home city and over the county and state. He is a past commander of Orville N. Stover Post of the American Legion and for several years was chairman for Randolph County for the Citizens Military Training Camp. He is a Knight Templar and thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner, has filled all the chairs in the Knights of Pythias, is a past exalted ruler of the B. P. 0. Elks, a member of the Golden Eagles, was president of the Tn-State Post-masters Association of Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky and vice president of the National Association of Postmasters. He has been president of the Indiana Republican Editorial Association. Mr. Patchell married, November 1, 1920, Miss Christine Anderson, of Spartansburg, Indiana, daughter of Burton and Gertrude (Kelley) Anderson. They have two children: James Kelley, born in December, 1922, and Ann Fairburn, born November 1, 1926.
This book has no cover, and no index, and no author. I bought it on Ebay; it just has the insides, but it is full of Indiana biographies. I am not researching this family, just thought I would share. I do not know anymore about these families or these surnames. NOTE: I don't know if there is any additional mention of this family in the book, it has no index. I do not want to sell this book. I am typing the biographies from it.
Typed by Lora Radiches

Roy PATCHELL is a son of the late George W. Patchell, who for nearly half a century was editor and proprietor of the Union City Times and one of the ablest newspapermen in Eastern Indiana. George W. Patchell passed away July 4, 1925. An account of his life is given in the preceding sketch. Roy Patchell was the older of two sons. His brother, James J. Patchell, is now postmaster of Union City. Roy Patchell was born in Union City, May 20, 1886. He was educated in public schools, graduated from Miami University at Oxford, Ohio, and from the Culver Military Academy and finally from the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis. He became associated with his father in the newspaper business, and when his brother, James, resigned as manager in 1926 to become postmaster Roy Patchell took over the active direction of The Times. The Union City Times was founded December 20, 1861, and the late George W. Patchell conducted it as a daily from 1895. Mr. Roy Patchell married, December 20, 1928, Miss Lucile May Yates, who was born at Farmland, Indiana, daughter of William and David (Bell) Yates. She was educated in the public schools and in the Winchester Business College. Mrs. Patchell is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Patchell is precinct committeeman of the Republican Party, a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the I. 0. 0. F., Knights of Pythias, B. P. 0. Elks, Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Improved Order of Red Men, and the Phi Delta Kappa fraternity.
This book has no cover, and no index, and no author. I bought it on Ebay; it just has the insides, but it is full of Indiana biographies. I am not researching this family, just thought I would share. I do not know anymore about these families or these surnames. NOTE: I don't know if there is any additional mention of this family in the book, it has no index. I do not want to sell this book. I am typing the biographies from it.
Typed by Lora Radiches

Abram Peacock (son of John and Patience) married first Margaret Elliott on April
10, 1782, (Contentnea MM. North Carolina); married Anna Joy next, the daughter of
Reuben and Anna, March 29, 1800; and married, third, Rachel Hollingsworth, a widow,
the daughter of Joseph and Charity Wright on March 21, 1821. He had seven children by
the first marriage and two by the second. There is no record that any of these children by
the first marriage lived at Jericho, excepting Achsah, wife of Henry Hill, and Amos who
is mentioned separately. The two children by the second marriage came with him and
became Jericho folks.

There is reason to believe that Abram Peacock was a friend of Jeremiah Cox
before Cox left North Carolina in 1805, and that Jeremiah was influential in his decision
to come to Indiana. Certain it is that Abram and the three families who came with him
stopped a year in Wayne County, where Abram took land now occupied by the Union
Station of Richmond: and in the immediate neighborhood where Cox had lived for some
dozen years or more. Also the two men took lands in Randolph, which were adjacent.
Cox's later arrival in the Jericho neighborhood is explained by his greater financial
involvement in Richmond, due to his longer residence.

It is said that Anna Joy Peacock walked almost the whole way from North
Carolina and became quite ill in Cincinatti on the journey. She died (10-1-1818) within
six months of the arrival at Jericho and was perhaps the first to be buried in the old
burying ground laid out on Abram's land. (See map Fig. 1). Abram Peacock gave the
land for the establishment of the first Friends Meeting at Jericho, as well as for the first
burying-ground. He also established a mill on the Owl Creek, as shown on the map.
Whether or not this mill was first used for grinding grist is not known. It is certain that it
later became a sawmill. Abram Peacock died at an unknown date, variously estimated as
from 1832 (Heiss), 1833 (Asenath Thomas), to 1835, court records in connection with the
estate of Jeremiah Cox. He was buried in the old Jericho burying-ground. It is stated
(Harry Peacock) that he walked to White River Meeting and was taken violently ill there
with a colic. He was carried to the home of a friend named Benson (possibly Beeson, no
Benson record this early) where he died. Thus passed the most prominent of the first four
settlers of the Jericho Community, the father of the Jericho Meeting and School.
Randolph County, Indiana
Submitted by Lora Addison Radiches

Amos Peacock was the third child and eldest son of Abram Peacock. He and his
wife Hannah came to Randolph County in 1818 and settled on eighty acres of land just
south of his father's quarter as shown on Fig. 1. It is through Amos Peacock that all the
members of the Peacock family have descended who now remain in and about Jericho.

Amos was an influential member of the Jericho Meeting and took an active part in
the civil life of the Community. He was appointed Commissioner of that part of the State
Road (laid out in 1820, now known as the Greenville Pike), which lay between the ford
of the White River and the State Line. The fact that he held this position indicates both
his standing in this early community and the importance of the road to the community.
Aaron Hill, his father-in-law, lived in Amos' home during much of the time he was in
Indiana. Amos and Sarah Peacock had nine children. He died July 2, 1850, and she died
September 8, 1867. Both are buried in the present Jericho burying-ground.
Jericho Friends Meeting Page 5
And Its Community
Submitted by Lora Addison Radiches

Pages 310-320

Chapter IV

A few sketches of the pioneer life of my dear parents, Amos and Hannah Peacock , and their death.
(By Elijah Peacock.)
Time, Oh, how swiftly it is passing,
Swiftly passing away,
Carrying down its thousands
In its currents to the grave,
And I know not day nor hour,
Or the midnight cry may come
And summon me to judgment
From my family and my home,
And the messenger will not await
A preparation long,
But may hurry its victims suddenly,
Like the sounding of a gong.
Its been upon my mind of late
To pen a few thoughts down
About my loving parents, dear,
Who lived in days of old renown;
But the task I feel incompetent
Their history to adorn,
For many things of note transpired
Long before that I was born;
But much I have heard them speak about
That's yet in memory clear,
And by us children now that's left,
Is held in reverence dear.
In North Carolina's sunny clime,
In seventeen ninety-three,
The year that mother there was born,
As in her Bible seen;
In seventeen hundred and eighty-seven
My father too was born;
Of honest parents came they of,
Lived near each other's farm;
They grew up as children often do,
They knew each other well,
And in their childhood days they learned
To read and write and spell;
But little education then
Was enough for common lore,
But father had a little more
Than was usual held in store,
And rude was all their equipments then,
How happy, too, they were,
And coarse their garments and their food,
Yet 'twas their daily fare;
But hale and hearty they grew up
To manhood and womanhood.
They feared not neither heat nor cold,
Nor work in field or wood;
The sound of ax and maul then fell
Like music in their ears,
And cares and labors shared alike
Unto maturer years.
But now the time had fully come
When they took each other's hand,
And, according to the rules of Friends,
Were joined in holy bands.
Near eighteen hundred and twelve was this,
The day I havent got,
And little in this it seemed
Had fallen to their lot;
But contentment was their greatest gain
While in that sunny clime,
Until a little was saved up
By frugal care in time.
But little now I know of them
By history at command,
Until thery're found in readiness
For a journey to Northern lands.
To Indiana's fertile state
In wagons wend their way,
With few relations in their band
They journeyed many a day,
'Till they came to Richmond, a little town
On White Water-rugged stream.
The date, as near as I can find,
Was eighteen hundred and eighteen.
There one crop it seems they raised
And then were Northern bound,
To the wild, dense forest of Randolph,
Where their relatives were found.
In Wayne township and county names,
In section thirty-one,
In range fifteen, a cabin was built,
And here their home begun;
This, too, was of the rudest kind,
No lumber near was bought;
But what their ax and maul and wedge,
And fro had fitted out;
But rough constructed as it was
In it content to dwell,
And soon, before their willing hands,
The mighty forest fell.
Still in the wilds and by the streams
The Indian wigwam found,
And by their dreadful warhoop
Once made the woods resound;
And often to their cabin door
Those forest children came
And shared with them their frugal meal;
They turned none empty away,
Though hardships often were their lot,
And scanty their means;
They labored hard and faltered not
In the mighty wooden green,
And the roaring of the heavy winds
Through the tree tops standing nigh,
Or the howling of the wolves
Oft their nightly lullaby.
And often in a needed time
They were supplied with game,
And ever and anon it fell
Before the flint-lock's deadly aim;
And many a deer and turkey, too,
Their life blood stained the ground,
And plenteous in those early days
The forest did abound;
Thus in the absence of the tame
The wild meat did supply;
Above the cabin's wide fire place
It often hung to dry.
Rude was their furniture here too,
Made mostly by hands
With the few and very simple tools
They had at their command.
Thus labored they for many years,
And heart and hand 'tis true,
While both the family and the farm
It large, larger grew,
Until the cabin was too small
For comfort there to dwell;
And soon another house was built-
For it large trees were felled,
Both sides were hewn-a heavy task-
But this they did not mind;
The neighbors then were gathered in,
Who were so very kind,
And one by one these heavy logs
Were placed by willing hands;
Two stories high were this reared up
By the faithful little band;
A smaller kitchen on the west
With double chimney between
Formed a commodious spacious house
As seldom there was seen.
Here, too, it was commenced my life
In eighteen thirty-one,
With brother Elisha-twin with me-
And here my memory began;
Here, too, I'll pause enough to say
Nine children to them were born;
One girl, two boys were called away
In life's right early morn;
Two sons yet, at maure age,
Obey death's surest call.
Two sons, two daughters yet are left,
I, the youngest of them all;
But onward I must press with this-
No time nor space for all-
But most my subjects have to end
With a short and hasty call.
In each house was a wide fireplace,
So common in those days,
Upon its broad commodious hearth
The cheerful fire blazed.
By these the cooking then was done,
No stoves were here in use,
And simple were the vessels, too-
Their memory I cannot loose.
The frying pan with handle long,
And skillet large and wide,
And oven where the corn-pones baked
By the fireplace's side;
Here to the mantle by a string
The spare rib hung to roast,
So sweet and nice when it was done
That of it kings might boast.
The "reflector" then was brought in use
And baked the bread so nice;
It set in front of the blazing fire-
The heat it would suffice.
Within the kitchen wide fireplace
The iron crane was swung;
On it with proper iron hooks
The dinner pot was hung,
And here was boiled and cook so well
The mush and meat and beans,
And hominy, that heathful food;
In summer time the "greens."
I seem to almost hear it seeth
With pot-pie loaded down;
Of all, it was at least with me,
"Peach cobbler" took the crown.
This lucious fruit was in those days
Most pentous to be found,
And often in the fall of year
Lay rotting on the ground.
Fast to the kitchen's western wall
By where the table stood
Was ever found the old 'dough-break"
Used to knead the dough for bread,
And underneath the old stairway
The hominy mortars found,
And by the firelight's cheerful blaze
Its pestle oft resound.
To beat the husks from off the grains
Was quite laborious work,
Of which, with me as one at least,
Sometimes inclined to shirk.
This was one of our staple food,
Used in the winter time,
Which gave us health and vigor, too,
Hard labor to perform.
And yet I almost seem to hear
The hum of the spinning wheel
Which mother and the girls oft plied,
Also the clack of the reel,
Which was so common in those days.
On long, long winter nights
By the "high trucks" ever brilliant blaze,
Or the candle's glimmering light,
The huge old loom that father made,
Long in the kitchen stood
Where ever and anon was wove
Our usual wearing goods.
The same hand, too, that thus prepared
Our clothing, cut and made
From threads of little spinning wheel
By mother's feet was sped.
The old distaff of dogwood bough
On which the flax was wound,
And hour after hour its flyers
Gave forth its humming sound;
And in the springtime in the yard,
Or some convenient place was found,
Long webs of strongest linen cloth
Lay bleaching on the ground.
Thus far have I some items gave
Of the housework then performed
By faithful mother and the girls
The old home then adorned.
How valiant was the housewife then-
How trusty and how true-
A tribute to their memory
I ever think is due.
And no I turn to outdoor work-
The farming past I mean-
Where father's ever ready hand
Mad most of the implements seen.
The old bar-share with wooden mould
Long traced the furrows through;
Each field, however long or short,
It turned the soil when new,
And still was used when I was young.
Though many years have flown
Since first the virgin soil it broke,
But large the crops were grown.
The cast plow then was introduced,
Which was of great renown;
Though ill-shaped as compared with now,
The soil turned upside down;
The old bar-share still kept in use-
I followed it many a day-
And dropped the corn right in the cross
Where it had passed both ways;
And then to tend the corn 'twas used,
Three furrows between each row,
To clear the weeds from out the hill
We used to ply the hoe.
And when the wheat was fully ripened,
With the sickles in their hands
To the fields was seen a-marching
Every able boy and man.
Though the work was slow and tedious,
And in the midst of burning sun,
Yet they went on still unflinching
'Till the field was fully done.
Then soon followed in its wake
The making of the hay;
Here father with his ready scythe
Mostly led the way.
No horse was used for raking up,
But all was done by hand,
With wooden pitchfork and small rake-
All we had at our command.
When fully cured 'twas placed in cocks,
When the weather was nice and warm;
With rope and pole and horse attached
'Twas dragged into the barn.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
So far have I somewhat described
Their modes of work 'is true,
This generation for to show,
The hardships they passed through,
That they may prize their privilege,
That they may now enjoy,
Above that in those early days,
So much labor did enjoy.
Notwithdtanding all of this
My parents prospered well,
In basket and in store were blessed,
In peace and love to dwell.
And here I'll pause awhile and say
The profession, they did adorn,
Was of the society of Friends,
Members of which they were born.
Elders were they in high esteem
And faithful did they serve,
Neither to the right nor left
Could they be made to swerve.
Though few their works 'twas easy told
By action more than they
Their Master's voice they often heard
And willingly obeyed.
How devoted were they in the truth
As owned and believed by Friends.
The poor and needy had them lent
Their ready helping hand.
Mounted upon their favorite steeds
To meeting usually went,
Neither heat nor cold nor storms of rain
This duty seldom prevent,
To Whit River and Dunkirk
And Cherry Grove thy rode
And Richmond and Newgarden, too,
Took the patient beasts their load.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
But I must haste along with this
Already growing long
In which the truth I want to tell,
And no one ere to wrong.
Years rolled on and with it came
Improvements thick and fast,
And I and Elisha larger grew,
It lightens much the task.
For now the family had married and gone,
Save us two boys alone,
With Father and Mother all that's left
At out old ancient home,
And age was creaping slowly on,
Their cheeks were much care-worn.
By the hardships they'd passed through,
And we was nearly grown.
But He who rules and reigns above
And doeth all things well,
Saw best to take our father away,
No longer here to dwell.
No longer to enjoy their ome,
Nor the dear ones here he loved.
To join the hosts above,
In eighteen fifty, seventh month,
The twenty-fourth the day,
We all were summoned to the bed,
No longer could he stay.
Oh, how affecting was the scene,
Those loving ones to part,
So long had together dwelt,
Joined truly as one heart,
Each others burdens long had borne,
In joy, sorrow and toil,
No earthly power had yet availed,
Those kindred ties to foil.
They embraced each other in their arms
In the dearest bonds of love,
Lit by the "well-spring" from on high
That's gentle like a dove.
And peacefully he passed away,
We hope he's gone to rest,
With all the ransomed and redeemed
To the home where all are blessed.
The heart that ever beat so warm
Zions mission to fulfill,
Ceased it pulsations here on earth
And was forever still.
But, OH! We missed at our home
His council and cheering words,
So much for which he was noted for,
No more could now be heard.
So did the meeting feel his loss
Where he long sat at the head
And served it there so faithfully,
In business rather led,
In which trasaction far excelled
Most of the members here,
And readily he sake his mind
In meekness, love and fear.
But heavily did mother feel
The stroke upon her fall,
And patiently she did submit
To the blessed Master's call.
She knew the promise He's fulfill
To those His will had done,
A father to the fatherless,
And a husband to the widow ones.
The few years now that did elapse
We three lived there alone,
Until I married and moved away
To a home that ws my own.
And faithful Elisha stayed with her,
And provided with tender care
The comforts that she needed here,
No pains he seemed to spare.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Near a dozen years had rolled away,
Disease had seized her frame,
So severe and painful as it was,
She almost helpless came;
Yet more afflictions lay in store,
For in eighteen sixty-five
Elisha, too, was stricken down,
But few days did survive.
While yet upon the cooling board,
She tottered to his side,
Bent over his lifeless form and said:
"He was na obedient child."
Heavy, heavy did we feel
The stroke upon us fall,
And to our aged, feeble mother
More than any one, or all.
But He who rules and reigns above,
Her hopes were on Him stayed,
She knew would lend a helping hand,
Deep waters yet to wade.
To leave her dear old ancient home
No little trial it seemed,
And neighbors, and her loving friends,
Long held in high esteem.
Her choice it seemed was now to go
To sister Anna's home,
Not far from twenty miles away,
Near a place called Poplar Run.
But meek and quiet this was done-
She saw them never more,
For soon it was destined that she
Should leave this world of woe.
With willing hands and tender care
They watched her while she lived,
The needed comforts here to add
They most cheerfully would give.
Once on a visit when I came
Dear Anna Hobbs was there,
Who many years had fed the flocks
With deep and earnest care.
Her tender voice I often heard
In broken accents plead
To turn our minds more unto Christ,
His inward vice to heed.
But, Oh! How solemn was the scene
For those aged pilgrims to part,
No more to meet on earth again,
Sank deep into our hearts.
Ever modest was their apparel,
Unspotted of the world,
Just waiting their blessed Master's call,
Whose banner they'd long unfurled.
Not long did mother have to wait-
Her longed for message came
To relieve her of her suffering here,
She patiently bore in His name.
In eighteen sixty-seven it was
And ninth month, eight the day,
As though one fallen into sleep
She quietly passed away.
A heavenly smile it seemed remained
Long shone upon her face,
The Master's image did reflect
Through His ever blessed grace,
But a secret joy spring upward,
Rose above all sorrow and grief,
That she was gathered a ripened shock,
Bringing with her many a shief.
Side by side in yonder graveyard
Were their bodies laid to rest,
Some modest grave stones at their heads
Dates their birth and age of death.

Reminiscences of Adams, Jay and Randolph Counties City of Publication: Fort Wayne, Ind. Publisher: Lipes, Nelson & Singmaster, job printers Date: 1897?
Page Count: 366

Transcribed by Andrea Long

Joseph Pickett
Joseph, the son of Benjamin above, did not come as an unmarried boy. He had married Nancy Pike in North Carolina, and their certificate was received at the White River MM on the same date as his fathers, July 4, 1829. He is chiefly notable in that he purchased the land on which the Jeremiah Cox mill stood, and he and his son Davis operated it for the benefit of the community until after mid-century. His wife, Nancy (Pike) Pickett is buried at Jericho. He and a new wife, Mary (Harris) Pickett, departed in 1854 for Honey Creek MM. It is probable that all the Jericho Picketts are descended from the families of John and Rebecca Pickett and of Benjamin and Ruth Pickett.
Jericho Friends Meeting
Randolph county, Indiana
Submitted by Lora Addison Radiches

William Pickett , by his own statement, was born in Orange County, North Carolina, in 1802. He was married in Wayne County, Indiana, presumably in 1826, to Ann White, who was born in 1805. He states that he moved to the Jericho neighborhood in 1828. However, he states in another place that he helped build the Jeremiah Cox Mill in 1825. So it is evident that he was here before his marriage and worked on the mill of his uncle, Jeremiah Cox. He states that he bought 80 acres of land from Benjamin Cox, though there is no record of this transaction in the early land transfers of Randolph
County. His first residence, then, would be adjacent to that of Absaloin Gray, or nearly so. William Pickett and Sarah Ann White had twelve children as follows: Esther, Mahalon, Hannah, Alfred, John W., Joel, Asenath, Lydia, Rebecca, Sarah, Mary, and oneother. Ten or eleven lived to maturity. Alfred Pickett was shot at Lookout Mountain during the Civil War and later died in the hospital.

Sarah (White) Pickett died December 1, 1873, and is buried at Jericho. He, William Pickett, married next Mary (Hiatt) Coats. He died May 1, 1885 and is also buried at Jericho.
Jericho Friends Meeting P 16
And Its Community
Randolph County, Indiana
Page 16
Submitted by Lora Addison Radiches

The Pikes
There have been Pikes in and around Jericho for a century and a quarter. So far as is known, the first and only family of Pikes to come to the Jericho neighborhood, excepting William Pike who came a generation later, was that of John Pike and his wife Mary Piggott. They were married in North Carolina in 1823 and later came to the Jericho
neighborhood. They were received at the White River MM on February 5, 1831, together with their sons, Benjamin and William. This was about two years subsequent to the coming of Mary Pike's father, Benjamin Piggott.

John Pike purchased from the U. S. Government on June 11, 1833 the forty acres of land lying in the SW corner of Section 30 R15E. The present Jericho Meeting-house stands on this land. Mary Pike had a third child, Rebecca, born in 1832. She died May 16, 1834, and is presumably buried in the present Jericho burying-ground. John Pike remarried to Margery (Buckingham) Mendenhall, widow of Moses Mendenhall. John Pike was a double brother-in-law to John Pickett, son of Benjamin Pickett, brother and sister having married brother and sister. It was the Pikes and the Picketts who first used the mound, near the present Meeting-house for burials. This began in 1833. The land and burying-ground for the Meeting-house was not acquired till 1836. Both are buried in the present burying-ground. Most of the subsequent Pikes in the Jericho neighborhood are descended from John Pike and his two wives.

Submitted by Lora Addison Radiches

From - William G. Cutler's History of the State of Nebraska
First published in 1882 by A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL.

Butler County --

JOHN C. PAXTON , dealer in general merchandise, Rising, P. O. Rising City, came to Nebraska in May, 1871,and took up a homestead on Section 20, Olive Precinct. Here he resided until March, 1876, when he was appointed Postmaster of Summit P. O.; November 1, 1878, the post office was moved to Rising and the name changed to Rising City P. O. January 1, 1879; this position he held until February, 1880, when he resigned, and has since given his attention to merchandising. Mr. P. had the honor of starting the first store at Rising, selling his first dollar's worth of goods to Dr. F. Engelhard, November 1, 1878. Is one of the original members of the Congregational Church society at Rising. Served three years in the late war, enlisting in the Seventy-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company D. Was married in August, 1861, to Miss Laura J. Camren in Hancock County, Ill. He was born in Randolph County, Ind., June 16, 1839.

Submitted by Billy Baker


Website Counter


Website Counter