Randolph County Indiana Biographies Surnames Starting with T
The primary settlement of the Thomases was in the New Garden Community and, to a lesser extent, the Arba Community. Such Thomases as arrived at Jericho may be considered as an overflow from New Garden. Jesse Thomas (son of John and Lydia) arrived and bought land as early as 1825. He departed again in 1826 and returned in 1829. He had land records as late as 1834. It is probable that he was intermittently a member at Jericho. George, Eli, and Nathan, Sons of Benjamin and cousins to Jesse were the more permanent of the early Thomas residents. Each married into the Hill family. Joseph, a grandson of Francis who was a brother to Benjamm and to John above, came later and married first into the Hill family. He remained till his death and sat as head of the Jericho Meeting for years.
In 1820, Elijah Cox went to New Garden and brought home as his wife,Rachel Thomas, daughter of Isaac, who was a brother to Benjamin and John above. In 1831, Henry Hill journeyed to New Garden and brought home Acksah Thomas, sister to Rachel, as his second wife.
Mary Thomas, daughter of Benjamin, came to Jericho and taught the school in 1838 and 1839. In 1840 she married William Peacock. The only descendants of the Thomases left at or near Jericho are those descended from Joseph and those descended from Mary and William Peacock.
The Jericho Friends Meeting
Randolph county, Indiana
Submitted by Lora Addison Radiches
CYRUS M. THOMPSON
, president of the Union City Library Board, has enjoyed many years of active participation in the business and civic affairs of that community. His career has been a successful one, not only from a material standpoint but in measure of helpfulness in forwarding the progress of educational and other interests. Mr. Thompson was born in Warren County, Ohio, April 9, 1858, son of John William and Elizabeth (Strong) Thompson, and grandson of Thomas Thompson and James Strong. His parents and grandfathers were born in Warren County, where his father spent his entire life as a farmer in one community. Mr. Thompson's mother passed away on Easter Sunday in 1918. He grew up on a farm, attended country schools and worked and paid the expenses of the course in the National Normal University at Lebanon, Ohio. While in school he learned the blacksmith's trade at Waynesville with an uncle, and for ten years taught in Ohio district schools. He was given a life certificate as a teacher in Ohio. On locating at Union City, Indiana, Mr. Thompson became secretary for a lumber, sash, door and blind company, and was with that organization for eleven years. During that time he was one of the nine men who organized the Permanent Savings & Loan Company, which has enjoyed a long and successful record as an Indiana loan Organization. For over twenty years Mr. Thompson was in the insurance business. He took a general agency for fire and tornado Insurance in 1908, and built up an extensive business on both sides of the state line. For six years prior to 1917 he was also local agent at Union City for the United States Express Company. Mr. Thompson has always had a keen interest in educational affairs. Though he had been out of schoolwork for many years, he was induced to teach in the high school of Union City, Indiana, during 1916-17, and in 1918-19 acted as an instructor in the high school of Union City, Ohio. This was during the World war period, when there was a great dearth of teachers. Mr. Thompson was associated with eight other prominent citizens of Union City in securing the donations from the Carnegie library fund for a library building at Union City. This library was established in 1899 and Mr. Thompson served as secretary of the board from the beginning until 1917, and since that year has been president. He was for four years a member of the City Council, and has also been a member of the school board. Mr. Thompson is a Republican, and for twenty-one consecutive years was secretary of the Masonic Lodge. He resides at 406 South Columbia Street. He married in 1895, Miss Mary M. Vannuys. She was born in Kansas, daughter of Cornelius and Mary Vannuys. Mr. and Mrs. Thompson have one daughter, Mary Elizabeth, who was a teacher in the public schools of Detroit from 1921 to 1928, and is now the wife of Dr. Walter L. Baumann, of Detroit.
Source: Unknown, I bought this book on Ebay it has no cover, no index, and no name, but full of Indiana biographies. Submitted by Lora Addison Radiches
CHARLES L. THORNBURG
was born in Stony Creek Township, Randolph County, March 1, 1875, and has lived in this county of Eastern Indiana all his life. His people were very early settlers, of Quaker stock, and the Thornburgs and their relations have always been people of most substantial worth. His grandfather, Job Thornburg, was born in Guilford County, North Carolina, the seat of the Quaker colony of that state. He came to Eastern Indiana at an early date and married Lydia Smith, who was born in Clinton County, Ohio. Their son, Tilnias Thornburg, was born in Stony Creek Township, Randolph County, and spent his life as a farmer. He died July 1, 1926. Tilnias Thornburg married Miranda Ralston, who resided at Farmland, where she passed away January 29, 1931. Her parents were James and Jane (Clevenger) Ralston, her father a native of Pennsylvania and a son of Andrew and Amelia (Street) Ralston, of Scotch-Irish ancestry. Jane Clevenger was born in Randolph County, a daughter of Wesley and Catherine (Bunch) Clevenger, who came from Virginia. Charles L. Thornburg, a son of Tilnias and Miranda (Ralston) Thornburg, grew up on his father's farm and after attending school followed farming until 1904. In that year he bought the W. B. Meeks undertaking and furniture business at Farmland. For a time he left the business under the direction of others while he attended the A. Johnson Dodge School of Embalming at Indianapolis, securing a diploma in July, 1905. Since that date he has given his active personal attention to the business. In 1909 he sold the stock of furniture and for the past twenty years has conducted an exclusive undertaking business. In 1919 he built a funeral home, one of the most complete in appointments and service found in any small town in Indiana. Mr. Thornburg is also a director of the Farmland State Bank. He is a member of the Indiana and National Funeral Directors Associations. Since 1917 he has had associated with him in the business Miss Ina M. Brewer, who is a licensed embalmer and has charge of the infants and children's burials and is office manager. Mr. Thornburg married, in the spring of 1896, Miss Maggie Holder, who was born in Wayne County, Indiana, daughter of Henry and Catherine (Maine) Holder. Her father came from Pennsylvania, while her mother was born in Henry County, Indiana. Of the children born to Mr. and Mrs. Thornburg, Irene died in infancy and Roger at the age of six years; Marguerite is the wife of Ernest Whitehead, of Monroe Township; Debris is in business at Farmland; Glenn and Ralph are both at home. The family are members of the Friends Church and Mr. Thornburg is a trustee and overseer. He has served on the town council at Farmland and on the school board, and has been chairman of the Chamber of Commerce. Politically he votes and thinks as a Republican, is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the Modern Woodmen of America.
This book has no cover, and no index, and no author. I bought it on Ebay; it just has the insides, but it is full of Indiana biographies. I am not researching this family, just thought I would share. I do not know anymore about these families or these surnames.
Typed by Lora Radiches
The Thornburg family was among the first to arrive.
with his wife, Rhoda (Lamb), acquired land in the year 1866 and continued to live in S29 R15E till the time of his death about the year 1899. He had twelve sons, eleven of whom lived to maturity, and it is from him that all the present Thornburgs of Jericho are descended. Of these, the descendants of Restore, Joab (Aleck), Jonathan. And Isaac (Doc) have been most permanent. Isaac Thornburg came to the Jericho neighborhood from Stoney Creek township where much of the original Thornburg settlement was made. Tucker says of them: The Thornburgs were all Friends and went with the anti-slavery branch in the separation of 1843.
Jericho Friends Meeting
And Its Community
Randolph County, Indiana
Submitted by Lora Addison Radiches
Farmland Enterprise, June 10, 1904 - John D. Thornburg and wife of Beatrice, Nebraska arrived here Saturday morning to visit relatives and have been guests of Levi V. Ford and family a part of this week. Mr. Thornburg left Randolph County in the year 1864 - forty years ago, and this is his first time to return. He is the son of John Liburn Thornburg, who now resides in Osborn County, Kansas and who will be remembered by some of the older residents of this county. His mother was Harriett Diggs, daughter of John Diggs and sister of W. C. Diggs, ex-commissioner. The later died about five years since. Mrs. Thornburg is the daughter of D. R. Ford, who was a merchant in Farmland prior to and during the civil war. The later left here with his parents in 1864 and settled in Iowa, near where Mr. Thornburg and his parents located and where she was married to John D. Thornburg in the year 1866, soon afterwards locating on the farm which is now their home. Mr. and Mrs. Thornburg came to attend the Moorman, Way and Diggs reunion, which occurred yesterday, and to visit with relatives for a few weeks. We are glad to note that Mr. Thornburg is the owner of a fine farm of two hundred acres within two miles of Beatrice, a city of 15,000 inhabitants.